Sunday, January 12, 2014

Rumi and MGTOW

(h/t)

"Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."

The Rumi quote describes my aspiration, except I'm not wise yet and the want to change the world still moves me, albeit more vestigially than before.

I wonder, though, about the limit of pursuing self-change without also pursuing world-change. The alienationists disagreed on where to set the divider. I believe the self cannot be severed from the world, short of death anyway, and world-change is necessarily a part of praxis. Perhaps the proper balance is achieved by calibrating one's focus to a more near-sighted, intimate view of the world when applying self-changing praxis than when pursuing world-changing social activism; change my world or the world around me rather than quest to change the world or America or the West. Maybe one type of change brings on the other type.

Who's Rumi? This guy. I don't know him, but that's a solid quote. I should read his stuff.

Eric

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

--> << Home

<< Newer
Older >>
HOME

Powered by Blogger